Fabulous, fresh, fancy, flamboyant. We’d use all of these words to describe the fantastic fern! It’s one of our favourite plants, and also one of the most frequently purchased plants in the shop too! Read on to find out why we love them so much:
Ferns are one of those plants that definitely grow (ahem) on you. Once characterized as old-lady flora, and a fussy Victorian fascination, ferns are having a huge resurgence right now. Easy to care for, interesting to look at, and appearing in a multitude of variations, these lovely leaves should have a spot in every home in our opinion.
So let us tell you why we think ferns are so fabulous:
- ferns are some of the oldest plants in the world - they’ve been growing for around 300 million years!
- the American Fern Society estimates there are about 12,000 species of ferns - so there’s definitely one to suit everybody!
- ranging from cold hardy to tropical, and in size from miniature to the monstrous tree ferns of New Zealand and Australia, there are so many different types of ferns.
- ferns are natural air-purifiers - the Crispy Wave plant, for example, has the ability to remove harmful particles from the air - so they’re good for you too!
Here’s how to care for your favourite fern:
- ferns in general can’t tolerate strong, direct sun. They will thrive in bright indirect light, so a north or east-facing window is ideal.
- most ferns don’t like dry conditions - they prefer the humidity. Mist them often or stand the pot on a tray of pebbles and keep those wet to provide a humid environment without water-logging the roots. Alternatively, place your fern in the bathroom and let it soak up all that steamy goodness!
- Never let the soil of your ferns get dry. Adapted to the humid forest floors, ferns prefer a damp (but not soggy) soil, so check often. If the soil feels dry to the touch, then it’s time to water!
Right now, we’ve got a beautiful selection of ferns looking for a forever home. From mini potted ferns and crispy waves, to mixed fern planters, and even gorgeous mini orchid and fern planters, these plants make the perfect addition to any space, and they also make beautiful gifts too! Take a look here to see our current offerings and order yours today. All plants c