March 8th is International Women’s Day. We’ll be celebrating big time over here at Oleander because we are inspired by and surrounded with so many strong and creative women, both at work, and in our local community.
For over a century, International Women’s Day, held on March 8th each year, has marked a day of celebration and advocacy for women’s rights and equality around the world. According to the Canadian Women’s Foundation, Canada takes 24th place in the Global Gender Index ranking, out of 156 Countries, and full-time working women earn an average of 76.8 cents for every dollar men make. So there is still a long way to go!
With that in mind, here are some excellent ways you and your community can celebrate International Women’s Day this year and do your part to advocate for gender equality:
- Share on social - the theme for International Women's Day 2022 is #BreakTheBias. Take a photo of yourself crossing your arms in an x-shape in front of you and share it on social media using #BreakTheBias.
- Involve men and people who identify beyond the gender binary in conversations and celebrations. It’s essential that everyone is involved in advocating for equality for people of all gender identities.
- Advocate for gender equality in your workplace. Women are more likely to have been negatively affected as a result of the pandemic when it comes to work. Businesses need to create inclusive work environments that provide adequate support. Look at and challenge your company’s policies - do they support women in the workplace?
- Educate yourself on women’s issues, empowerment, and achievements by reading a great book. Here are a few suggestions:
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead, by Brené Brown
- Untamed, by Glennon Doyle
- I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban, by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb
- Educated, by Tara Westover
- Watch a film from a female director or with a women-centric cast. Here’s a list of female-directed films on Netflix.
- Donate to a charity - here are ten women-led, not-for-profit organizations that could use your help.
And last but by no means least, choose to support women-owned businesses in your local community, like us right here at Oleander! Supporting businesses that are owned, operated, and controlled by women helps contribute to equal economic empowerment, representative products and services, and a more prosperous economy overall. Happy International Women’s day and thank you for your support!